If you’ve been here for any length of time, you know that I am a huge proponent and advocate for professional societies. (Read Tips #3, #7, #9, and #10 to learn why and how they can help you!)
Within AIAA, (the American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics), they currently have some working groups to tackle major strategic objectives and develop new programs with high value for members.
One of them I’m a part of is the Career Development Working Group. We have a list of potential offerings that was developed during a Board of Directors retreat last year. This list came from listening to people who said that these knowledge areas are lacking in people within the aerospace industry. Or these career development topics have unique demand from people in industry.
If you could pick one of these items to receive some type of program or product, which would you pick? Whichever it is, it would have an aerospace “angle” or slant to it.
Let’s get some real customer feedback and engagement going here. Write your answer in a comment below! Thanks for reading and sharing your preference! — Brett
- General Budgeting Concepts
- Cost Accounting
- Project Management Fundamentals
- Business Case Analysis
- How to deal with Conflict
- Networking and job search tips
- How to transition from/to industry and government
- How to write proposals
- The role of HR and how to use this department
- Financial planning for life
- Congressional Ops and how the US budget process works
- Entrepreneur 101 (funding, legal structures, business plans etc..)
- Fundamentals of the government acquisition process
- Safety training (this could go into many different places)
- How to approach a job fair
- Overview of the International Aerospace Landscape (markets, competitors, outlook etc..)